"Jefferson’s Masterpiece"

Follow Dennis Parker as he prepares Jefferson’s Masterpiece for publication –
from the research and writing to the printing and marketing.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Work on Jefferson’s Masterpiece is on schedule

As John Adams said when the Declaration of Independence had been approved, “It is done.” The final editing of Jefferson’s Masterpiece has been completed. Hurrah! . . . I’m glad.

Beverly has made a good start on getting the book ready for the printer. Her first task has been to layout the pages. (Layout is the graphic design process of distributing the written text onto the preformatted book pages. When that is done, the designer begins the process of designing each page with font variations, images, color and graphic elements.)

Before I turned the manuscript over to Beverly last week for layout, I added new copy to the first chapter – Tuesday, June 11, 1776. It was the section where Jefferson recollected all the events that had led the Second Continental Congress to consider breaking ties with Great Britain. His thoughts are important because they help to set the stage for the story that follows. Plus, I wanted readers to have a sense of the urgency that Jefferson and the patriots felt.

After I finish editing the appendix this week, I will write the promotion copy that will be printed on the back cover. I had forgotten that I needed to write this. In one variation or another, this copy will be used in other types of promotions.

The work is progressing on schedule. I am pleased and satisfied.

Thanks for spending time with me today,
Dennis

No comments: