"Jefferson’s Masterpiece"

Follow Dennis Parker as he prepares Jefferson’s Masterpiece for publication –
from the research and writing to the printing and marketing.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Marketing "Nick & Sadie" Took Precedence Over Editing "Jefferson's Masterpiece"

I reported to you last week that I was going to spend part of the week contacting year-round Christmas stores and independent bookstores along the coast of North Carolina about carrying Nick & Sadie, the Christmas novel I published last year. I consider the four-day trip Beverly and I made to be successful, considering the fact that I had never done that before.

The two bookstores that will carry Nick & Sadie are located in Wilmington: Pomegranate Books, which is located near the University of North Carolina-Wilmington, and Two Sisters Bookery, which is located in The Cotton Exchange. I encourage you to visit these stores the next time you are in Wilmington. They epitomize what I like about independent bookstores and what makes them so special – the individual character, the intimacy and the fact that no two stores are alike.

One of the Christmas stores we visited had gone out of business, and a second one did not sell books. The owners of the two other Christmas stores were not present when we were there. I will contact them later. Those are the perils I knew I might face by making cold-calls, which is the way I have elected to operate.

A fifty percent success rate – two stores out of four on the first outing – is better than I expected.

Naturally, I am disappointed that I was not able to do more editing on Jefferson’s Masterpiece. But I needed to begin the process of finding more places that would carry Nick & Sadie year-round or just during the Christmas season.

This week will be devoted entirely to Jefferson’s Masterpiece.

Thanks for your continued interest,
Dennis

No comments: